According to a new survey, getting out into nature is the most popular way to unwind and relax from life’s daily stressors - making beaches, parks and other outdoor places an important sanctuary for many. We sought to get the inside scoop on the benefits of the beach, a place that we hold so dear, in a 2020 survey.
From giving up coffee all summer to beach-goers’ top essentials for a day spent by the ocean, the results of our #ReefBeachBrain survey revealed that the beach holds an important place for our consumers’ hearts and minds.
The survey says…
- Respondents reported the below situations cause them the most stress on a daily basis.
- Financial problems: 76%
- Relationship difficulties: 67%
- Family responsibilities: 66%
- Work stressors: 65%
- Feeling isolated: 58%
THE GREAT OUTDOORS
- Looking for ways to clear your head? Outside is the place to be. These are the top ways Americans do something positive for their mental health.
- Getting out into nature: 50%
- Going to the beach: 44%
- Taking a vacation/trip: 44%
- Getting enough sleep: 44%
- Eating healthy: 42%
DON'T WORRY, BEACH HAPPY
- With nearly 3 out of 4 of Americans revealing that they would go to the beach to alleviate stress, it’s no wonder the crashing of ocean waves is a go-to relaxation sound.
- In fact, once at the beach nearly four in five people admit they are in a better mood!
WOULD YOU RATHER: COFFEE VS. THE BEACH
- The beach is such a good mood-boost that more than half of people (54%) said they would rather give up coffee all summer if it meant being able to go to the beach.
- With more than two thirds of respondents revealing work causes them stress, it’s no wonder that nearly half (48%) would happily call out “sick” in order to head to the beach if they could.
THE PERFECT BEACH DAY
- For a day well spent, these are respondents’ favorite things to do while at the beach to help de-stress and escape from the hustle and bustle of life at home.
- Take a leisurely walk: 53%
- Listen to the waves: 47%
- Jam to music: 46%
- Read a book: 43%
- Lay in the sun: 42%
- When asked what makes the “perfect beach day,” the poll uncovered that a 79-degree day in July is the setup for a dream trip.
BATTLE OF THE SEXES
- How men and women perceive their beach experience differs, though. While both genders agree family beaches are the most preferred (28% for men and 29% for women), a very close second is a “party beach” for men (26%) and an empty beach for women (27%).
BEACH TRIP ESSENTIALS
- When heading to the beach, Americans have certain essentials they wouldn’t dare leave the house without:
- Sunglasses: 57%
- A beach towel: 57%
- Sunscreen: 56%
- Sandals/flip-flops: 49%
- Food/snacks: 44%
FLIP OR FLOP
- When choosing the best footwear for a beach trip, the flip flop comes in as the top style pick with nearly half of the vote.
- That’s not the only fashion situation people are concerned about at the beach though, in fact, nearly a quarter of respondents (26%) said they’ve dealt with a dreaded wardrobe malfunction while frolicking at the shore, more specifically a broken flip flop (27%).
IN GOOD COMPANY
- Trouble in paradise? Not for these respondents. Americans would prefer to be stranded on a desert island with the cast from ABC’s ‘Bachelor in Paradise’ (27%) over any other beach-related show.
- When asked which talk show team people would most like to go on vacation with, Americans ultimately chose “Good Morning America’s” Robin Roberts, George Stephanopoulos and Michael Strahan, with 28% of the vote.
The 2020 survey was commissioned by REEF and conducted online by OnePoll with a panel of 2,000 Americans. The respondents were 18 years and older and results were split by gender, age and region.