The Ins And Outs Of Being A Wanderlusting Longboarder With Our Local Gypsy Tutti
ESCAPE IS BREAKNG OUT OF MY COMFORT ZONE.
ESCAPE IS ADVENTURING AND BEING SPONTANEOUS.
For me, that’s traveling and surfing in a new location. It opens your eyes to different ways of living, thinking, other cultures, and being more aware of your surroundings.
HERE’S SOME TIPS FOR TRAVELING WITH YOUR SURFBOARD:
- Before you book: Call the airline to see dimension and weight requirements. Some airlines don’t take longboards and some charge a lot more than others. Also make sure to check how many boards you can bring per board bag.
- Carrying it through the airport: Airports can be a little hectic. Choosing a travel bag with wheels helps out a lot.
- At the airport: Trying to get a longboard through a crowded line can be a pain and almost impossible. Ask the airline or custom agent to advise you on the best way to get the bag through the checkin line.
- Arriving to your destination: Make sure to pack some heavy-duty board straps for the car rental, especially if you’ll be going off roading/dirtroads. I recently went to Nicaragua and rented a truck for this reason.
NO MATTER WHERE I AM IN THE WORLD, I ESCAPE ON MY LONGBOARD.
I love the feeling of just gliding through a wave and gracefully cross-stepping to the nose. Everything just seems to disappear…you feel like a kid again.
HERE’S A FEW POINTERS ON WALKING TO THE NOSE:
- In order to nose-ride, you need the tail of your board to be submerged in the wave. The wave will hold the tail down for you so you can go have fun on the nose.
- I like to fade toward the pocket when I first catch the wave, then do a quick turn back the way I just came from and start to cross-step toward the nose.
- The quick turn and immediate cross-step will set the tail in the wave and give the board some stability while you are at the nose.
- You need to commit to it as well. So plug that tail in the curl of the wave, and cross-step with confidence to the nose and read the wave as you are up there.
- Enjoy the feeling of Escape!